Monday 4 March 2024

Graham

 When Charles got in touch to let me know Graham had passed away, I must admit it came as a surprise and a shock. Others, over the last few weeks, have commented on their own relationships, memories and experience of Graham, he was a well know and well liked member of the Wargaming World. 

I wanted to take a bit of time to write down some of my own thoughts. 

My experience of Graham was firstly as a fellow member of John Ray's "A Military Gentleman Forum", then as the creator and owner of Crann Tara Miniatures, then as someone who encouraged me to make more figures, then as a key organiser of the very first  A Military Gentleman weekend meet and wargame at Partizan, then as a fellow gamer battling me across the battlefields of Central Europe in the mid eighteenth Century, in many, many games which Charles Grant masterfully curated and ran in the process of producing his wonderful "Refighting History" series of books, then as part of the triumvirate of Himself, Charles and I as we collectively played our own part in building up the Crann Tara range, then as a man of good company and wit, and finally as a friend. 

For a 4-5 year period from 2015 till 2020 (and, unfortunately the world then becoming a different place) we gamed together, ate splendidly, drank (occasionally slightly too much), dreamed of figures, then made them, and kept going and going. On reflection, probably my most productive and enjoyable period of Wargaming in my whole life. And I have Graham to thank for so much of that. 

Happy memories, my thanks, dear friend.





I just finished these, they wouldn't exist if it hadn't been for Graham

3 comments:

Donnie McGibbon said...

A fitting tribute to a fine gentleman, he will be sorely missed. Lovely work on the cavalry they are stunning, some of my favourite figures in the whole of Grahams range.

John Ray said...

Graham was a lovely man. A Great loss. AMG 15 was his event, without him it would never have happened.
We must email.

Kindest
John

Tiberian general said...

Thank you for your kind tribute to a wonderful gent, inspiring wargamer and friend.


Willz.