Saturday 7 January 2023

Regt Basilicata

 In a break from the somewhat sporadic review of work done over recent years, something a bit more current. It's fair to say with the Pandemic, job changes and other non hobby interests in recent years that this has been a bit of a fallow period for me in hobby terms. I've certainly been busy, just not doing this much. As a result this unit has "sat on the bench" for more time than I would like to actually properly add up, but I've finally got back in the saddle and had some sustained and consistent time to get them over the line. Very pleased with the end result, as usual, my very amateurish photo set up does not do these guys justice, but they are probably, on balance, the best overall unit I've ever done, right down to the Flags.

So here we have Kingdom of Naples, 1740's Provincial Regiment Basilicata. 







11 comments:

John Ray said...

John,

Happy New Year.

A lovely addition. The painting is exquisite, the yellow chosen for the uniform is the best I have ever seen.

Regards
John

Donnie McGibbon said...

They are really top notch as John says, the yellow is without doubt the best I have ever seen as well. Beautiful regiment, your work is very inspiring.

John D said...

John,

Great to hear from you and happy new year to you. Yes, I think the yellow works well, it is fairly strong without being to "blingy", at this scale it's always a compromise between trying to make things pop a bit without it being too much, I'm happy with the end result.

Donnie,

Thanks, they are a nice colour combo (yellow and Blue usually works well), and overall they do look good as a unit.

John

John Ray said...

John

I should have mentioned your amazing brushwork on the flags......Do we have another Mark Allen in the making?

Best
John

John D said...

John,

Thanks, certainly having a number of Mark's Flags in the collection makes it easier to study his technique and pallete, and it certainly helped me when I was painting these ones.

John

Tiberian general said...

That is a very smart looking regiment, wonderful 18th century eye candy.

Willz.

Graham C said...

Happy New Year John, your brushes may have rested for a while but you’ve certainly opened up with a broadside. Simply stunning

John D said...

Thanks Willz

Graham, great to hear from you, lets hope 2023 is a great year for everyone.

Aye, it had been that long since I'd done any painting that I had to do a bit of a resurrection job on some of the paints! Pleased with the end result though.

John

Der Alte Fritz said...

Beautiful figures, painting and flags. What a sight to behold. I hope that you can get back to some semi-regular blogging again so that we can see your work.

Jim

ColCampbell50 said...

I can only echo everyone else's comments. Great looking unit.

Jim

ColCampbell50 said...

P.S. You were "Tangoed" on TMP today -- http://theminiaturespage.com/boards/msg.mv?id=576228 -- which is where I saw your magnificent work.

Jim