Wow, over a year since my last post!
Well, given that this blog is supposed to be about making miniatures, I think I can be excused, as I haven't done any sculpting since then.
Various diversions etc with painting some figures for Napoleonic and AWI mainly.
Been experimenting a bit on the painting front with oil washes, and I like the effect, still learning though. Anyway, the downside to using oils is that they take ages to dry, and to cut a long story short I got bored!
I'd mixed up some greenstuff for use on a couple of AWI Willie command figure conversions, and the sculpting bug bit again. So whilst waiting for the paint to dry I thought I would knock something together.
Been thinking a lot about the figures I've sculpted to date, and whilst I am quite pleased with them, I think they lack a little "spark" in some respects. I think it's because I tried too hard to make them "accurate" and didn't think enough about movement and character. The command figures I've been working on are a good case in point. Suren's sculpting in many ways is "wrong" if you analyse it, but they have that little bit of stardust about them that makes them very special.
Now I ain't ever going to be as good as he was, but I thought I'd have a go at trying to capture the style.
So first up ...... heads!
Previously I just used the ebob dolly heads and "enhanced" them a bit. Worked fine, but the end result was "functional".
So I've had a go at sculpting some heads from scratch this time. And here (minus any ears yet!) are my first attempts. I plan to just play about with heads for a while, and try to develop some which I like. I suspect none of the above will in the end make the "cut" but we'll see how things evolve.
I'll post up some more pics as more heads are done.
Not actually sure what I'm going to end up sculpting yet!